Looking for switch recommendations ...

Wes Peters wes at softweyr.com
Fri Mar 26 14:25:11 PST 2004

On Friday 26 March 2004 11:25 am, Per Engelbrecht wrote:
> > What is the difference between Layer2 and Layer3, and what does
> > that affect?
>
> All switching is done in layer2!

Not true!

> Layer3 switch 'features' (functionality) is was the vendor put in the
> box. Depending on the amount of $ you're going to spent, you can have
> switches that can act as routers.

In the Xylan (now Alcatel) second-generation switches (The "X-Frame"
backplane) the switching hardward was capable of switching on the MAC
header *or* other predefined parts of the packet if no MAC header matches
were found.  This feature was used to implement hardware routing (the HRE-X
module), allowing us to route packets between IP networks at a million
packets per second.

Wes Peters                                              wes at softweyr.com