FreeVRRPD problem

Sten Spans sten at blinkenlights.nl
Wed Jun 30 14:18:48 PDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Bruno Afonso wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to have failover with a couple boxes and they're basically
> doing NAT and firewalling. 1 box has a couple fxp and the other a couple
> rls. Is this supposed to be a problem for freevrrpd?
>
> Only fxp box actually can use the fail-over ips. The backup box cannot
> use them if we start freevrrp deamon without starting on the master
> first and it's impossible to have network access to.
>
> Further more, if we have master and start backup, it all goes ok. If
> master goes down, backup never takes over and backup is from now one
> impossible to access.

One simple thing that has bitten me with freevrrpd is the link monitoring.
If the link on an interface is unstable ( bge being the usual suspect in
our case ) then freevrrpd will stop doing vrrp announcements.
This is to stop things like broken utp or duplex mismatches from causing
major mischief. However if its normal for your nic's to be borking then
you'll have to "fix" the code in some fashion.

The current freevrrpd code might be a bit different, but this is
what I encountered with fbsd/bge about a year ago.

--
Sten Spans

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."
Leonard Cohen - Anthem