comparision of firewalling on Linux and FreeBSD

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Jun 30 10:57:41 PDT 2004

On Jun 30, 2004, at 1:47 PM, socrel at gmx.net wrote:
> Looking for considered comparisions of firewalling on Linux and
> FreeBSD.

Hmm, what you should be considering is whether you want to use pf/IPF,
or IPFW.  If IPFW makes more sense to you, use FreeBSD.  If you want to
use IPF, either platform will do, but I'd still recommend FreeBSD.

> I am especially interested in learning about ease of connection
> tracking

Like what, logging packets with the SYN bit set?  IPFW gives you that
easily.

> and of getting packets into user space for analysis via scripts.

The BPF + tools like tcpdump, snort, and whatnot...

--
-Chuck