NFS with HP-UX Clients

Matthias Schuendehuette msch at snafu.de
Thu Jun 24 12:55:09 PDT 2004

Hello,

I had severe problems with HP-UX 10.20 Clients on my FreeBSD
5.2.1-RELEASE-p8 NFS-Servers. Transfer of larger Files (approx 6 MB)
was horribly slow until I reduced the wsize/rsize of the Clients to
4096.
(With a HP-UX 11.11 Client it worked up to 8192).

Are such adjustments of the mount-options common work for NFS-Admins?

I'm not very experienced concerning NFS and I remember that HP had
"NFS/NIS Patches" for 10.20 nearly every 3 Month. But honestly: Is this
more a problem of the client or more a problem of the server?

Don't misunderstand me - I really don't want to blame FreeBSD, these
server(s) are my first FreeBSD-Servers in production use at work - I
personally am working with FreeBSD since Version 2.0 and I'm really
convinced. But you know the managers: They know Bill Gates, eventually
they know Linux but "what the hell is FreeBSD!!??" :-) So everybody is
quite sensitive in the moment...
--
Ciao/BSD - Matthias

Matthias Schuendehuette	<msch [at] snafu.de>, Berlin (Germany)
PGP-Key at <pgp.mit.edu> and <wwwkeys.de.pgp.net> ID: 0xDDFB0A5F