Rate Limiting Per-Socket

Takashi Okumura taka at cs.pitt.edu
Wed Jun 23 07:20:39 GMT 2004

hi,

Paul Querna wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 23:55 -0400, Takashi Okumura wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > please take a look at mod_netnice. it uses netnice, another in-kernel
> > traffic control primitive on the platform. since you can control each
> > socket with netnice, i think it's easy to extend the module to meet
> > your needs.
> >
> >       http://www.netnice.org/app_modnetnice.html
> >

> Wow, that is a very neat project!
>
> Is there any chance of netnice being added to mainstream FreeBSD,
> perhaps in the 5.x tree?

we are currently preparing to port the module to Linux, NetBSD, MacOS X,
and OpenBSD, as well as to 5.x. but, since the workforce is quite limited,
it will take several months to finish the porting to 5.x. it should be
easy, but, i realized that somebody has totally changed its procfs
implementation, which the API of netnice relies upon. so, it will take
a bit longer than it should be. if some of you might help us, that would
be great.

regarding the contribution to the mainstream FreeBSD, yes, we would love to.
but, i'm a bit pessimistic about that option, simply because it looks too
radical, at this point. maybe after we finish the porting to the major
platforms, and the communities realize its scope and advantage, of having
a multi-platform primitive for end-host oriented network control, we may
start pursuing the option. but, that will be a future story. we still
need to translate many documents for developers, and need to provide
many netnice applications. so...

> It would be very cool if it could be added a port initially, like pf
> was.  I downloaded it, but it looks like you only have patches against
> the 4.x tree?

yes, it currently supports just FB4.9, and it requires kernel patch,
plus makeworld :-(

since it is not a quick'n easy process, we have been asked to provide
better (and easier) testing environment. so, we have just released a
LiveCD version of Netnice/FreeBSD :-)

	http://www.netnice.org/download.html

i'm planning to release a bit better FreeSBIE-based LiveCD with X + XFCE.
if you want to see working apache + mod_netnice on the CD, i'll try to
include it in the next release. please let me know if you have any request
in that regard.

thanks,

-- taka