if_sppp

Roman Kurakin rik at cronyx.ru
Sun Jun 20 22:08:15 GMT 2004

Joerg Wunsch:

>As Roman Kurakin wrote:
>

>>Problem:
>>	If we have max_failure < MAXALIVECNT*5 we will
>>send conf-rej for magic.
>>

>>Solution:
>>	Loopback could be treated as a special case and
>>thus we may not count it as a failure.
>>

>Can you explain a little more, please?  The patch is simple enough,
>yes, but offhand I don't know what's the actual problem resulting out
>of the above situation.

Ok. If we have loopback, we will continue to try with some new value of
magic.
In every try we will increase both fail_count and loopback count. After
every
try we will check both counters if they exceed appropriate max value and
will
take some action if one of them does.
But since max_failue is 10 and max for loopback counter is 15 we will
have only
special action after axceed of fail_counter. This in turn means that we
will reject
magic and since we are loopbacked we will recieve it and turn off magic.
After
next attempt we will take any magic (since we turn it off) and will move
from
lcp to ipcp or whatever else.
I used to use this for driver testings, since state machine becomes
crazy and I
get very good traffic. ;-) But this definitely should be fixed.
I think the best way to fix this is to treate loopack in different way
from other
failures. And since loopbacks have its own counter they should be counted
as failures.

rik