device polling takes more CPU hits??

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Tue Jul 27 13:32:17 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 09:56:07PM +0200, Marko Zec wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 July 2004 16:39, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > > what timecounter method are you using, i8254 or TSC? The polling code
> > > frequently calls microuptime(), which is very expensive (slow) with
> > > i8254,
> >
> > it is not _that_ frequently, it should be twice per tick. Even with
> > the 8254 i don't think this amounts to more than 4-5us, which
> > is a couple of percent.
>

> Luigi,
>
> I'm just trying to dig into how the current polling implementation is supposed
> to work, so pls. correct me if I'm wrong.

ok you are probably right on the number, i haven't looked
at the code in a while. I suppose that technically the
polling code could be optimized to use only one extra call,
(relying on the implicit or explicit one done in the hardclock interrupt)
but as your numbers show, there is not much of a point...

cheers
luigi