Set device BD_ADDR via ng_bluetooth

Maksim Yevmenkin maksim.yevmenkin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 23:38:23 PDT 2004

> This is a long shot, but is it possible to set a Bluetooth device's
> BD_ADDR to a custom value using ng_bluetooth?  I couldn't spot anything
> in the ng_btsocket(4) man page, or in the Bluez stack on Linux.

bluetooth spec v1.1 does not define a way to set device's bd_addr.

i guess it *might* be possible via vendor specific command. of course
you would need to know the vendor command opcode and the parameters
for the specific bluetooth chip. good luck finding them out. vendor
commands on some chips do not even return any events back, so it makes
it hard to just probe all possible opcodes to see what device does.

device's bd_addr is the only way to identify bluetooth device. you are
not supposed to change it. everything else is tied to the bd_add, i.e.
security etc. why do you want to change it anyway?

max