DHCP server over PPPoE server

Barney Wolff barney at databus.com
Thu Jul 15 13:07:12 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 11:28:37PM +0400, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 11:53:28AM -0400, Gary Corcoran wrote:
> G> My research indicates that rather than doing the usual DHCP DISCOVER to
> G> start things off, I should be able to send a DHCP INFORM message,
> G> which includes my already-assigned IP address.  The DHCP server should
> G> see this, it then MUST NOT (according to the RFC) lookup the address
> G> in its lease database, but it then should respond, sending the all the
> G> configuration parameters *except* an IP address, back to the IP address
> G> that was included in the message.
> G>
> G> Thus my desire to get dhcpd running with mpd pppoe...
> G> Any suggestions?
>
> Well if you even make your DHCP server send packets to already
> configured IP address, I'm afraid the client side will just ignore them.

DHCP is not restricted to broadcast networks.  In fact, the ietf-ppp(ext)
working group is quite adamant that DHCP be used to get configuration
data rather than adding new attributes to LCP/IPCP.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.