defect onboard broadcom causing boot hang

Bjorn Eikeland bjorn at eikeland.info
Sat Jan 31 17:24:02 PST 2004

I've just changed to using freebsd on my desktop pc, my Asus A7V8X
motherboad has a onboard Broadcom chip - this just stopped working under
windows and turned into a unknown device. Asus or vendor's support never
replied so I just picked up a new fxp card.

However under FreeBSD it hangs for a while at boot between the ata4 and
pci0 line form dmesg (ata4 is a Promise PDC20376 SATA150 w/ ad4 on it):
ata4: at 0xec000000 on atapci0
ata4: [MPSAFE]
pci0: <old> at device 9.0 (no driver attached)

(I have done some googling and found older Promice ide controllers to cause
boot hangs on older versions of freebsd 4.4 - but not sata and 5.x so I'm
hoping its the Broadcom chip)

pciconf shows this device to be a:
none0 at pci0:9:0: class=0x008000 card=0x80008000 chip=0x800014e4 rev=0x01
hdr=0x00
     vendor   = 'Broadcom Corporation'
     class    = old

I've tried loading the kernel module if_bfe (and if_bge) but still no new
interface, windows used the card as a BCM440x - but the box does say
gigabit lan.

If it is possible to somehow get this card working I would really
appreicate
any help in "resurrecting" it, as I then can use my box as a bridge and
do some traffic shaping on my lan :)

Just skipping the device altogether and avoid the boot time hang is also
looking very attractive!

-Bjorn