FreeBSD IP Device Driver

Erik Hamilton ehamilt at siue.edu
Fri Jan 30 09:35:10 PST 2004

I'm currently working on building a simple token ring networking scheme
over the parallel port (/dev/ppi0) for a graduate project. The project
itself is to be used later for educational purposes, illustrating how you
can build a network from the ground up through hardware developement,
framing, and layering.  The hardware is done, simple token managment is
working, and data can be passed around the ring. So basically I have the
physical and datalink layers mostly done. It's my understanding that if I
can get my program to speak IP to FreeBSD (through a kernel module or
something else) I could inherit its TCP/IP stack.

Ideally I would like to have my simple token ring as another network
device that could be used just like any other network interface. I've been
reading through FreeBSD's handbooks and poking through /usr/src/sys/dev/.

* Developers' Handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/index.html

* FreeBSD Architecture Handbook (esp. Section II: Device Drivers):
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/arch-handbook/index.html

Basically I think I'm just looking for some guidance. Am I on the right
track? or am I confused?  I haven't had the best luck with google, so any
other reading material would be greatly appreciated.

Erik