Multilink FreeBSD to FreeBSD with mpd over Cable and DSL

Aaron Burke aburke at nullplusone.com
Fri Jan 30 06:08:33 PST 2004

Hello FreeBSD-net,

I am trying to figure out the best way to link two FreeBSD boxes
together using two seperate internet connections at the same time
per host. Both FreeBSD boxen have both Cable and DSL connections.
I am looking for a way to link them together using both connections.

Cable and DSL seem to have about 98% uptime in my area, and I am
in a situation, where I can not live without a broadband connection
between the two sites.

I intend on creating a multilink connection between the two FreeBSD
boxen using mpd. It is my understanding that mpd will detect that
one of the links has gone down and stop using it. (I am assuming that
it occationally checks the link to see if it has gone back up)

I basically have the following situation (fake IP addresses). Alpha
and DG are Host names.
Alpha: (Cable) 12.5.3.103 (1500K/256K)
Alpha: (DSL) 14.2.1.7 (768K/128K)
DG: (Cable) 17.3.2.202 (1500K/256K)
DG: (DSL) 17.24.12.83 (768K/128K)

I would like to create a link from Cable to Cable, and DSL to DSL.
The speeds on cable are about twice the speed, so I am also
interested in mpd's ability to divert more traffic out that link,
and receive more traffic from that link.

I am planning on sending a private address over the links, having
192.168.50.100 on Alpha, and 192.168.50.101 on DG.

(example):
192.168.50.100 <-- MPD1 <Cable to Cable> MPD1 --> 192.168.50.101
               <-- MPD2   <DSL to DSL>   MPD2 -->

I have done some research into mpd, and it appears to do exactly what
I want, but I am looking for a way of configuring the mpd.

The problem is that the sample configs of mpd dont seem to describe
this situation. Can anyone direct me to a site with a similar setup?

Am I mistaken about mpd?

Thanks for your time
Aaron Burke
aburke at nullplusone.com