DEVICE_POLLING with SMP

Kevin Day toasty at dragondata.com
Wed Jan 28 11:25:31 PST 2004

Has anyone made any headway with getting polling(4) to work with a SMP
kernel?  Last May this was discussed on here briefly with me, Luigi and
Don Bowman, which seemed to indicate that the majority of what needed
to be fixed to make this work would be some kind of locking in
idle_loop to make sure only one CPU gets into the polling code at once.

I've got a case where enabling SMP gives me a 20-30% performance boost,
or if I turn polling on I get another 10-15% boost. I'd love to see
what the two together could do.