Multihomed UDP server

Dinesh Nair dinesh at alphaque.com
Thu Jan 22 23:02:21 PST 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Randall R. Stewart (home) wrote:

> One of the problems I think that is fundamental to BSD and multi-homing
> is the lack of supports for multiple-default routes. And even in O/S's

there's a patch to FreeBSD 4.8 which adds multipath support at
http://www.dsm.fordham.edu/~tanzer/multipath/

i've tested it on FreeBSD 4.9 and it works, with the addition of an
additional modification. see another thread in -net for details.

> sigh... someday BSD's will decide to better support M-Homing.. for now
> hacks are appropriate :-/

yes they are. i'm exploring to see if i can implement multipath
functionality as a new netgraph node. this, for starters, would at least
to an extent provide modularity to the existing mpath patches referenced
above and back porting to earlier 4.x systems without modifying the core
tcp/ip stack of freebsd. one possible addition to functionality in this
yet-to-be-written node could perhaps be a heartbeat to the next hop router
and to down that route/interface if the next hop was down for any reason.

dinesh at alphaque.com                (0 0)    http://www.alphaque.com/