Bridging

Matthias Schuendehuette msch at snafu.de
Thu Jan 22 10:36:17 PST 2004

Hi,

I'm heavily working on a filtering bridge with FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE...

First I tried to configure the host (a HP DL380) with three interfaces:
fxp0 and fxp1 for bridging (without ip-addresses) and bge0 for
ssh-access with an ip-address - this does not work so far because ipfw
obviously cannot get the tree interfaces managed right (but that's not
my last word on this... :-)

After I gave up on this, I tried with only two interfaces (bge0 and
bge1) where bge0 also has an IP-address. After much try and error I got
it working, but the configuration is more complicated than I expected.

The central point is, that I first have to configure the various
interfaces (bge0 up, bge1 up, vlan0/IP and vlan1) and afterwards may
configure the bridge, i.e. set 'net.link.ether.bridge.config=....'.

This means that on a filtering bridge you can't use /etc/sysctl.conf for
bridge configuration because /etc/rc.d/sysctl is executed before /etc/
rc.d/netif and in this order it doesn't work.

Short question: Is this intended behaviour and public knowledge?

Should a /etc/rc.d/bridge be added?

--
Ciao/BSD - Matthias

Matthias Schuendehuette	<msch [at] snafu.de>, Berlin (Germany)
PGP-Key at <pgp.mit.edu> and <wwwkeys.de.pgp.net> ID: 0xDDFB0A5F