tcp mss MCLBYTES restriction

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Wed Jan 21 09:16:59 PST 2004

Andre Oppermann writes:

 > Could you run some bechmarks with the current MCLBYTES rounding
 > and without it on 100Mbit 1.5kMTU and GigE with 9k MTU?

David Borman is totally right.   Clipping the mss is really worth it,
especially with zero-copy sockets.   Forget I said anything.

Here is some data I just took..  Send and receiver are 3GHz P4s.
Test is netperf -- -S131072 -s131072.  Sender is running current
as of Saturday.  Receiver is running 4.9-Release.

"em" is Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection, Version - 1.7.19
"myri" is a M3F2-PCIXE-2. (4Gb/s).

NIC    mtu     BW     %cpu	mss_truncate	zero_copy
       (bytes) (Mb/s)
----   ------  -----  ----	-----		------
em     16114   727    12.8	0		0
em     16114   730    15.2	1		0