netgraph questions on ng_tee, ng_iface, ng_socket

Dinesh Nair dinesh at alphaque.com
Wed Jan 21 07:51:50 PST 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Andrew Riabtsev wrote:

> 1 let default route be to fxp0
> 2 conncet fxp0's upper hook to "one" hook of ng_one2many
> 3 connect lower hooks of fxp0 and aue0 to "many" hooks of ng_one2many
> 4 u have what u r accept for the overwriting src ip
> 5 time for uber hack ng_one2many:

i had initially tried this, without modifying ng_one2many, but like adrian
pointed out in an earlier email, i wasnt checking if the destination host
was receiving the packets ok. it was exploratory alright. :)

> kernels, our kernel check for ethernet dst addr of arrived packets and
> see that not all packets came from fxp0 (some of them came from aue0,
> as he has different MAC) and drop it. All u need is just comment or
> modify this terrible check in ether_demux() in net/if_ethersubr.c.

not really necessary. you can set the aue0 and other interfaces connected
to the many hooks to be promiscous and to not overwrite the ethernet
address. this, of course, only works on bonding the links for same segment
traffic. the bottleneck will still be the ISP thru which it goes out.

dinesh at alphaque.com                (0 0)    http://www.alphaque.com/