PPPOE server with pppoed and mppe

Michael Bretterklieber mbretter at a-quadrat.at
Fri Jan 16 03:53:51 PST 2004

Hi,

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Emil Filipov wrote:

> G> Why don't you try /usr/ports/net/mpd instead of pppoed+ppp?
>
> Because the last time I read the mpd manual, it said that mpd can only act
> as a ppoe client and not as a pppoe server. Which is not true for the last
> mpd version (3.16). So thanks, this is a possibility that I will test
> immediately :)
>
> However this does not answer the question about the (broken?) mppe
> implementation in ppp(8). And I feel more comfortable using base
> applications, than 3rd party software. It's not that I don't like mpd, it's
> great, but why use it when we should be able to accomplish the task with the
> built-in FreeBSD functionality?

I see it as advantage, that Mpd is not shipped with the base system,
because we are not bundled with FreeBSD's release cycle, so we release
more often new Mpd versions (new features, Bugfixes, etc.), then new
FreeBSD versions are released.

And Mpd is a FreeBSD only application, because it uses netgraph wich IS
shipped with FreeBSD, so Mpd is "2nd 1/2 party software" :-).

bye,
--
Michael Bretterklieber          - http://www.bretterklieber.com