Handling 100.000 packets/sec or more

Vlad Galu dudu at diaspar.rdsnet.ro
Wed Jan 14 16:41:32 PST 2004

Vlad Galu <dudu at diaspar.rdsnet.ro> writes:

|Adrian Penisoara <ady at freebsd.ady.ro> writes:
|
||Hi,
||  At one site that I administer we have a gateway server which
|services|a large SOHO LAN (more than 300 stations) and I'm facing a
|serious|issue: very often we see strong spoofed floods (variable source
|IP and|port, variable destination IP, destination port 80) which can go
|as far|as 100 000 packets/sec!
||  Of course, the server (FreeBSD 5.2-REL, PIII 733Mhz, 256Mb RAM, 3COM
||3C905B-TX aka xl0 with checksum offloading support) has a hard time
||swallowing this kind of traffic. The main issue are the IRQ
|interrupts:|over 15000 interrupts/sec which consume more than 90% of
|the CPU time.|We got ingress filtering so the packets go no further
|than the firewall|(which, BTW, is not the issue, even disabling it it's
|the same|problem). The system is still responsive but the load average
|goes as|high as 10 and the interface is losing packets (input errors)
|which|dramatically affects legitimate traffic, besides mbuf(9)
|starvation. We|are taking down the culprit clients, but this takes time
|and we need|the other clients not to be affected by it.
||  What can I do to make the system better handle this kind of traffic
|?|Could device polling(8) or just increasing the kernel frequency clock
||to 1000Hz or more improve the situation ?
||  What kind of network cards could face a lot better this burden ? Are
||there any other solutions ?

	I have just had an idea. It might be stupid, but at least it's
something :)
Why not try to use splnet() & co for lowering the priority of the NIC
irq's a little bit ? I mean, just at least to a state where the system
is able to respond to other tasks than forwarding packets, without
loosing them. Anyone, please slap me if this is bullshit.

|----

----