Intermittent problems with LAN transfer speeds

Adam McLaurin adam.mclaurin at gmx.net
Fri Jan 9 06:43:02 PST 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 21:47:59 -0500 (EST)
Mitch Collinsworth <mitch at ccmr.cornell.edu> wrote:

> When you say "both ends" do you mean computer and network switch?  Or
> do you mean computer A and computer B?  Is the switch managed or
> unmanaged?  You can't set full duplex on an unmanaged switch, it is
> always in auto.  If you have an unmanaged switch you MUST set the
> computers to auto or to half.  Setting them to full will most
> definitely cause problems.  The auto-negotiation specification says
> a port set to auto must choose half if the other end is not set to
> auto.  This is an extremely common misunderstanding.

The switch is completely unmanaged, so by 'both ends' I mean the gateway
and the workstation behind the switch. I have both computers back to
auto and reboot. The problem is gone (for now), but keep in mind it also
would have been fixed had I not changed anything in my settings. The
true test will be to see if the problem happens again in coming weeks ..

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it.

--
Adam