Odd behaviour on em0 device in -stable ... I think ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Mon Jan 5 11:40:22 PST 2004

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> i am partly lost on the details of your specific question, but
> the symptoms do seem to suggest a stale ARP entry, which must be
> in the router (if the switch had a stale entry in its MAC forwarding
> table, you would have problems even with local pings, not only
> remote ones).
>
> It is the OS that generates a gratuitous ARP every time you assign
> an IP address (or alias) to a card, though i am not sure if it
> sends one for each address assigned to the card, or just one for the
> newly configured address -- the latter would not solve your problem.

One of the odd things I'm finding with the em0 device, over the fxp0
device on the other machines, is that if/when I do alias (or -alias), the
network hangs for a couple of seconds, and the following gets generated in
/var/log/messages:

Jan  4 16:09:17 neptune /kernel: em0: Link is up 100 Mbps Full Duplex

as if it brought the device down, and then back up again ... is that
normal?

----