Odd behaviour on em0 device in -stable ... I think ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Sun Jan 4 16:08:17 PST 2004

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, Barney Wolff wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 04:31:41PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >
> > The problem is that I want to move an IP from one of the other servers
> > (all with fxp interfaces) over to the 4th, with the em device ... I -alias
> > the IP from the fxp device, and alias it over to the em device, and I can
> > no longer access it remotely ...
> >
> > If I alias it onto any of hte other two fxp based servers, it works fine.
>
> Something, either the switch or the router, has a stale arp table entry.
> It's a little curious that this ever works, without resetting whatever
> it is.  Perhaps the fxp's manage to send a gratuitous arp when taking
> on a new alias.

re: gratuitous arp ... I was wondering if the nics do anything like this,
but, shouldn't be 'ping -S <src ip> <dest ip>' not "force" something?
Like, I could see remote pings not being able to find their way, but
sourcing one of the IP in question to go out, I would have thought it
would have found its way ...

Would the arp thing be nic based, or does the OS itself do it?

----