Odd behaviour on em0 device in -stable ... I think ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Sun Jan 4 12:35:29 PST 2004

I'm having some odd behaviour with one of my servers ... it is the only
one of 4 that I have that has an em device, and, from what I can tell, the
problem doesn't exist on any of the other 3 ...

The problem is that I want to move an IP from one of the other servers
(all with fxp interfaces) over to the 4th, with the em device ... I -alias
the IP from the fxp device, and alias it over to the em device, and I can
no longer access it remotely ...

If I alias it onto any of hte other two fxp based servers, it works fine.

If I ping from the old server, on the same network, it pings fine ... its
only remote pings that don't work ... and all other IPs currently on the
em server are pingable too, so its not like I have ICMP blocked at any one
point ...

All 4 servers are plug'd into a Linksys 10/100 Switch, which is then
plug'd into a Cisco Switch ...

If I add an unused IP to the em device, it is pingable ... its as if
somewhere isn't seeing the routing change from the old fxp based server
over to the new em based one, but if I put it onto a different fxp based
server, it works ...

Trying to do a 'ping -S <IP> ns.uunet.ca' doesn't work either, but using
an existing, pingable IP, does ... netmask is set identical to all the
other IPs on the machine, and arp -a shows the IP as 'permanent' ...

I'm not sure what to look at ... the only 'odd man out' here is the em
device itself, but by the fact that I can add an unassigned IP to it, I'm
not hitting a limit on # of aliased IPs (currently only 21) ... and I've
tried with another assigned IP (unalias from fxp device, move it to em
device) and it too becomes unpingable, but works fine if I move it to
another fxp device on a different server ...

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks ...

----