register DNS entry with dhclient

Zhang Weiwu weiwuzhang at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 25 06:28:36 PST 2004

I have a ADSL modem (domain name: modem.lan) also acting as DNS/dhcp server
(pretty smart toy). The Windows computers in the office, after boot up and
requested an ip addresss, also registere a DNS name in the modem
(netbiosname.lan), but FreeBSD and Linux computers don't register their DNS
name. So everyday we keep asking "Jerry what's your ip address I need to
scp a file ..." :(

I thought it won't be difficult to let FreeBSD register domain name. after
read the specific part of dhclient.conf(5), I created a /etc/dhclient.conf
file:
------
#my hostname is thinkpad.lan, 'lan' is our default search domain
send fqdn.fqdn "thinkpad.lan";
send fqdn.server-update on;
------
Still my thinkpad runing FreeBSD 5.2 don't seem to have registered:
zhangweiwu at thinkpad:~>nslookup windowsbox.lan
Server:  modem.lan
Address:  10.0.0.138

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    windowsbox.lan
Address:  10.0.0.6

zhangweiwu at thinkpad:~>nslookup thinkpad.lan
Server:  modem.lan
Address:  10.0.0.138

*** modem.lan can't find thinkpad: Non-existent host/domain

I am not sure of the mechnism in domain name registeration; I cannot debug
it. Is there any obvious wrong operation I am taking?