NAS-Port

Gleb Smirnoff glebius at cell.sick.ru
Fri Feb 20 14:32:23 PST 2004

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 12:11:43AM +0200, Anton Blajev wrote:
A> I'm writing with an idea,
A> As we saw NAS-Port is not obligatory, it's used to say about the port
A> client's using to connect, okay...
A> but why ins't ppp sending
A> NAS-Port = tun0 for example (with the other type value:
A> something like this:
A> NAS-Port-Type = "Virtual"
A> NAS-Port = "tun0"
A> )

Don't forget that NAS-Port attribite is integer.

A> Wouldn't this be good to be done , because freeradius (and myabe other
A> radiuses) are using NAS-Port for unique identifyer to give an ip
A> addres... so there are no duplicates...
A>
A> So, I'm asking... wouldn't be more proper and accurate ppp to send
A> NAS-Port = tun or it's being done on purpose not to do this.

/usr/ports/net/mpd does this. It sends interface number as
NAS-Port.

You can easily write a small patch for ppp(8), which will add
this functionality to ppp. You can also submit it via send-pr.
However, it seems like ppp maintainer is not working on ppp
anymore. I've sent familiar patch (it adds Calling-Station-Id
attribute) more than a year ago and the PR still hangs not assigned.

Really, you should try mpd from ports. :)

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.
GLEBIUS-RIPN GLEB-RIPE