Wireless USB Adapter

Gareth Bailey garethb at xiplan.com
Thu Feb 19 07:16:07 PST 2004

Does anyone know how to configure FreeBSD to use a wireless USB WLAN adapter. The adapter is a X-Micro WLAN USB adapter.

When i plug it into FreeBSD i get a "ugen0" device loaded message. I understand this means that the OS doesn't specifically recognise it as a WIFI adapter, treating it as a generic USB device. I'm not sure what chipset it is based on. I checked on the vendor's site with no joy. I tried configuring the kernel to include "wireless network support" and the "wi" driver. But still no joy.

How would i begin to set up this piece of hardware for FreeBSD? I'm running 5.1 Release.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Gareth Bailey