dummynet = local taffic > 100ms - help!

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Feb 10 04:08:23 PST 2004

Bjorn Eikeland wrote:
[ ... ]
> DUMMYNET and HZ=10000 is in the kernel.
>
> Any suggestions what can be causing this? (I've only got the one nic,
> and use a adsl router for internett)

I seem to recall some issues with setting HZ very fast, in that it breaks the
uniqueness assumptions made by TCP sequence generation if HZ > 1000.  Dummynet
does want better than the standard 10ms granularity (HZ=100), so perhaps you
might try HZ=1000 and see whether that makes any difference.

You might also consider increasing the queue length of your pipes when using
prioriziation--- are you seeing packets being dropped?

--
-Chuck