need suggestions on making a wireless network using bluetooth

Maksim Yevmenkin m_evmenkin at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 6 09:53:56 PST 2004

Hello,

> Hello. I'll make a small wireless network in my office in the coming month.
> Now I'm considering bluetooth instead of 802.11. In the office I have a
> freebsd server, my own notebook runs freebsd. Other computers run MAC OS
> and Windows.

ok

> * the office is not very big, just as big as the bluetooth signal can
> reach. There are confidential information in the office, I don't want
> anyone to get my data by just stopping a car in front of the office and
> listen network traffice with a notebook.

well, you can do many things to secure your 802.11 network :) also i'm
not aware of any bluetooth snooping capabilities on of the shelf devices,
but i've heard about bluetooth scanners. they used in bluetooth testing
and qualification facilities and expensive, but they do exist :)

> * I don't see any network traffic problem. Usually we just transfer emails,
> text documents and pictures.

ok. are you aware that a single bluetooth device can only support up to
8 clients at the same time? is that going to be a problem for you?

> * In China, the 802.11 device market is not clear yet, I don't know what
> standard to follow (you surely know about the new Chinese spec on 802.11
> network).
>
> * We already have some bluetooth devices.

ok

> * Most of us use notebook computers. Notebook 802.11 cards are more
> expensive than bluetooth cards.

i see

> * Some people in the office are going to buy GPRS enabled cell phone. If
> they buy bluetooth enabled GPRS phones, they can go surf the Internet
> outside the office through GPRS cell phone. This is cheaper than having
> both 802.11 card and GPRS card.

FreeBSD supports DUN profile that allows you to use bluetooth enabled
cell phone as a modem. you can make GRPS or CSD calls.

> So I decide I'd better use bluetooth. Several questions:
>
> * Is it possible to make a wireless network by using bluetooth devices? Can
> I have a bluetooth installed on the FreeBSD server, let it act as a
> switch/hub? Would this network be stable?

yes, FreeBSD supports LAN profile. in this scenario bluetooth clients
connect to the server via PPP that runs over bluetooth connection. on
a client side it is very similar to dialing out on regular phone line.
again keep in mind that a single bluetooth device can only have up to
8 connections at a time.

> * I never see anyone setup a network in this way, would there be many
> unexpected problems?

not likely, but you never know :) just stay away from serial based
bluetooth devices. use usb bluetooth dongles. they work much better.

thanks,
max