removing if_withname()

Hajimu UMEMOTO ume at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 4 08:52:53 PST 2004

Hi,

> Bruce pointed out that if_withname is inconsistent about IFNAMSIZ.  I
> was looking at it and cleaned it up, but then I realized that it is a
> really inefficient implementation of ifnet_byindex(sdl->sdl_index).  It
> turns out that it's also completely unused so I'd like to remove it
> entirely rather then fixing it since it's both broken and pointless.  Is
> there any reason not to do so?

bde> It seems to be a pat of KAME that has never been used in FreeBSD
bde> (net/if.c rev.1.77).

Yes, once, it was introduced during 1st KAME merge, it is not used in
current code in FreeBSD nor KAME.  So, I believe it is safe to nuke
it.

Sincerely,

ume at mahoroba.org  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/