Obtaining Syslog message from a Cisco Router

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Tue Feb 3 07:54:37 PST 2004

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 03:38:19PM -0000, Edward Butler wrote:
> I am looking to dump the log files from various Cisco routers on to one
> of various FreeBSD boxes we are running ( mainly FreeBSD 4.4 ) once the
> logs have been dumped to then rotate these in a similar way that other
> system logs files are rotated - dns, www and mail etc...
>
> My question is - do I need to compile a specific syslog collector or
> will syslog on its own be able to handle these messages? Also how can I
> reconfigure logrotate to include these log files?

1) Tell Cisco routers to use a specific facility/priority for their messages.
2) Tell syslog.conf to place the messages using this facility/priority into
their own log file.
3) Tell newsyslog.conf to rotate these logs according to the desired policy.

No need to install logrotate. newsyslog is the default FreeBSD log file
rotation tool.

BMS