TCP/IP over USB

Pat Lashley patl+freebsd at volant.org
Thu Dec 23 23:28:37 PST 2004

--On Thursday, December 23, 2004 13:25:16 +0900 Sangwoo Shim <ssw at neo.redjade.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 07:15:16PM -0800, Pat Lashley wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> Now that that's out of the way, Sangwoo, could you post the details
>> of your dubp + ng_eiface solution?  I might want to switch to that.
>>

>> -Pat
>
> Ah, I don't have the YOPY anymore. So I can't describe every detail.
> But the outline was:
>
> 1. Add YOPY's device id/vendor id to USB_MATCH() of /sys/dev/usb/udbp.c.
>    (I cannot recall the exact values, but it can be discovered by usbdevs -v
>    or looking at Linux's usbnet driver's header.)

Already have it from my tweaks to the if_cdce driver.  For those who
might be following this thread, here are the values for my YP 3700:

	Vendor		0x22b8
	Product		0x4902
	Release		0x0001
	Class		0x0002
	Subclass	0x0000
	Protocol	0x0000

The Vendor and Product are the only values necessary for the driver;
and I suspect that in this case, there's no real advantage to specifying
any of the others in usbd.conf.

For completeness, I would be interested in obtaining values for the
YP 3500 and YP 3000.

> 2. Recompile udbp.ko and kldload it.
>    (do 'make all install' in /sys/modules/udbp)
> 3. kldload ng_eiface.ko.
> 4. Create ng_eiface node and connect it to the data hook of the udbp node.
>    e.g. do 'ngctl mkpeer udbp0: eiface data ether'
> 5. Set ngethX appropriately. (using ifconfig).
>
> This gave me over 400KB/s ftp connection.
> You could send a PR in udbp also, I suppose? :-)

Thanks, I'll give that a try after the holidays.  If I wind up going
that route instead of cdce, I will submit a PR with the YOPY's values.

-Pat