vlan double tagging

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Fri Dec 17 14:34:56 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 01:22:02PM +0200, Donatas wrote:
> hello,
> i'd like to ask if there's any possibility to pass double tagged vlan packets through freebsd 5.x routers?
> and....how many level1 vlans are supported on one parent device?

I don't know what happens with double tagged vlan packets.  There should
be no limit on the number of vlans supported, but with the current code,
performance will be crap for large numbers because it searches the list
of all vlans to match the tag.  We need to add per-interface array of
pointers to vlan interfaces instead.  The number of vlans maximum
allowed by the standard is small enough that blowing that memory is
worth if for constant access time compared the complexity of using a
balanced tree.

> maybe there are some solutions in netgraph sphere?

I'm not sure what you mean here?

-- Brooks