per-interface packet filters

James james at towardex.com
Wed Dec 15 00:58:34 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 11:18:10AM +0300, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
[ snip ]

> Sorry, but the short answer is "same was as in Cisco|Juniper world". The longer
> description is:
>
> The cloner will. If this was sysadmin with ifconfig in his hands, then he
> will attach chains to interface. The same was you do it "config term" mode.
> If that was an interface auto created by ppp/mpd/etc, than the soft will do
> attach chains according to its config file, the same way as you have
> interface templates in router-world.

This is not a matter of Cisco-copy or Juniper-copy -- any properly operating
router vendor with service provider featureset would implement per-interface
firewall hooks (including us).

I simply disagreed with the ipfw modification (btw it was my personal
disagreement, not a constructive one), but not Gleb's idea.

In my ideal world of things, I'd rather have per-interface hooked firewalls
operating inside ip_fastforward, not inside regular ip_input functions.
At least in the way we modify things for our own, we insert all router-like
functionalities within the ip_fastfwd.c ; ip_input.c and others are largely
untouched for regular non-router host environment.

-J

--
James Jun                                            TowardEX Technologies, Inc.
Technical Lead                      Boston IPv4/IPv6 Web Hosting, Colocation and