per-interface packet filters [summary]

James james at towardex.com
Wed Dec 15 00:49:14 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 11:45:40AM +0300, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 01:12:31PM -0500, James wrote:
> J> The way we have approached this in the past is to install /32 host routes
> J> for each interface addr's and respective subnet and broadcast /32 addresses
> J> into the kernel RIB, destined to lo0 interface. Place your per-interface
> J> filter on 'lo0' interface and packets destined to router iteslf will be
> J> subject to loopback filter before making it onto upper layer protocol.
>
> I was thinking of this idea, too. So, it works?

It works indeed. If folks want me to, I'll provide patches to ip_fastfwd.c
after christmas-new-year break. (I have too much stuff on my plate right now)

Just to note, the patch will _not_ touch ip_input.c. Receive path should not
even exist on a host system, only on a router running hard core routing code
(aka ip_fastforward() being the routing code).

-J

--
James Jun                                            TowardEX Technologies, Inc.
Technical Lead                      Boston IPv4/IPv6 Web Hosting, Colocation and