per-interface packet filters, design approach

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Tue Dec 14 06:20:11 PST 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 06:13:07AM -0800, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> What I'm really missing in IPFW is the ability to maintain one or more
> 'shadow rulesets'. These rulesets may not be the active rulesets, but
> I can manipulate them as tables, independently of the active ruleset(s),

??? What what ???
They do exist, they are called 'set' and you can associate
rules to a specific set, atomically enable/disable/swap/rename
sets, etc. This was designed exactly for this purpose (atomic
updates of firewall configuration with a single syscall).

have a look at the ipfw manpage and then see if it answer your needs.

	cheers
	luigi