per-interface packet filters, design approach

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 14 06:17:55 PST 2004

On 2004.12.14 06:13:07 -0800, Bruce M Simpson wrote:

> What I'm really missing in IPFW is the ability to maintain one or more
> 'shadow rulesets'. These rulesets may not be the active rulesets, but
> I can manipulate them as tables, independently of the active ruleset(s),
> push rules into them, flush them, and then atomically switch them to be
> the active ruleset, using a single syscall.

Isn't that more or less sets you are talking about?  Quoting ipfw(8):

     Each rule belongs to one of 32 different sets , numbered 0 to 31.  Set 31
     is reserved for the default rule.

     By default, rules are put in set 0, unless you use the set N attribute
     when entering a new rule.  Sets can be individually and atomically
     enabled or disabled, so this mechanism permits an easy way to store mul-
     tiple configurations of the firewall and quickly (and atomically) switch
     between them.  The command to enable/disable sets is

           ipfw set [disable number ...] [enable number ...]

     where multiple enable or disable sections can be specified.  Command exe-
     cution is atomic on all the sets specified in the command.  By default,
     all sets are enabled.

--
Simon L. Nielsen