Working on howl port

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Dec 11 01:41:37 PST 2004

Andrea Campi wrote:
[ ... ]
> The way I'm addressing this is to have autoipd use SIOCAIFADDR
> and manage exactly one address in the 169.254/16 block. This
> means you will ALWAYS have an IP address in that range; if you
> also run dhclient, you might have an additional IP and a default
> route.
>
> Thoughts?

See http://files.zeroconf.org/draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal.txt:

1.9.  When to configure an IPv4 Link-Local address

    Having addresses of multiple different scopes assigned to an
    interface, with no adequate way to determine in what circumstances
    each address should be used, leads to complexity for applications and
    confusion for users.  A host with an address on a link can
    communicate with all other devices on that link, whether those
    devices use Link- Local addresses, or routable addresses.  For these
    reasons, a host SHOULD NOT have both an operable routable address and
    an IPv4 Link-Local address configured on the same interface.

...but there is more there to read.  It's fine to let an interface have a
169.254/16 IP and a "real" IP (assigned by DHCP, the user, etc) for a little
while during transitions, but not forever.

--
-Chuck