the correct ipv6 behavior for interfaces with gif tunnel on them

Konstantin KABASSANOV Konstantin.Kabassanov at lip6.fr
Thu Dec 9 09:53:42 PST 2004

Well, this is a router box with 2 physical interfaces (say xl0 and rl0).
Rl0 has a gif tunnel (gif0) over it. Xl0,rl0 and gif0 announce in their
ifconfig an MTU of 1500, but 1300 bytes traffic generated from this box
and sent through the gif0 interface is fragmented by the rl0 interface to
1280 bytes...

  Please also specify the OS name (which I guess is
>FreeBSD) and its version.

FreeBSD 4.7 (yes it is a little bit old, but I think the problem still
persist in more recent versions)... And that's why I'm asking if this
behavior is normal or not...

Thanks.

Konstantin