(review request) ipfw and ipsec processing order foroutgoingpackets

Ari Suutari ari at suutari.iki.fi
Tue Dec 7 00:43:21 PST 2004

Hi,

> But I may be
> missing something because I can see no way in firewall rules to
> distinguish between the before IPSec processing hook and the after IPSec
> processing one.  Could you clarify this for me please ?

    There is a keyword "ipsec" in ipfw2, which matches if packet has emerged
    from ipsec tunnel. To match packet before ipsec stack, use protocol
esp/ah
    in ipfw rule. To match packet after ipsec stack, use tcp/udp/ip as
protocol
    and "ipsec" keyword.

    The problem is that this doesn't work for outgoing packets, which breaks
    at least statefull rules.

        Ari S.