about a usb adsl modem driver

Jose M Rodriguez josemi at freebsd.jazztel.es
Fri Dec 3 12:26:01 PST 2004

El Viernes, 3 de Diciembre de 2004 20:58, Andre Oppermann escribió:
> Jose M Rodriguez wrote:

[...]
> > I found Netgraph the easy path. A, let's say, ng_uadsl limited only
> > to move aal5 between the modem and netgraph may be enough to use
> > routed protocols, bridged mode, pppoe, pppoa, pptp, user-ppp, sppp,
> > ... just with some equivalents of frame relay nodes and atm_llc,
> > adapted to rfc2684.
>
> There is an extensive Netgraph ATM framework in FreeBSD 5.x written
> by harti at freebsd.org.  The only thing you need to do is the hardware
> driver for the ADSL USB modem.

This one of the main reasons to 'go netgraph'.  In fact, the actual
ueagle driver uses NATM.

But noted strong differences between atm boards and adsl modems.

- atm boards are hardware assisted.  usb adsl modems are bare assisted.

- atm boards support better signaling, multiple channels, ... usb adsl
modems just one PVC with uni signaling.

So I realize that try to get a NATM/NETGRAPH hardware driver may be too
work for little gain.

Right now, I think that maintain a ng_uadsl closer enough to ng_atm must
be a better solution.

In other words, take harti work as a reference, but let uadsl
independent of atm works.

--
  josemi