[CFR] Fix sockstat's handling of closed connections

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Wed Aug 25 08:57:14 PDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 05:48:38PM +0200, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> Peter Pentchev wrote:
[snip]
> > Luckily, the fix is simple, or at least so it seems to me.  It turns out
> > that those connections have a xt_socket->xso_so set to NULL, and the
> > false positive comes from sockstat's matching them to a similarly NULL
> > xf_data members of 'kern.files'.  What do people think about the
> > following patch?  I could commit it if nobody has any objections, but
> > being a ports/doc committer, I would need an explicit approval to do
> > that :)
>
> The fix looks good to me.  It seems small enough so I think I can give
> you the direct go-ahead to commit it.  Could you also put a comment into
> the sockstat man page describing that TCP connections in TIME_WAIT state
> can be looked up with netstat?

Thanks!  I could easily fix the manpage, too, but is TIME_WAIT the only
state when xt_socket->xso_so is null?  Someone with better knowledge of
the TCP/IP stack than me needs to either confirm that, or point out
which of the CLOSED, CLOSE_WAIT, FIN_WAIT_1, CLOSING, and FIN_WAIT_2
states also have a null xso_so - or is it just TIME_WAIT, because all
the others still mean that the socket is still somewhat active?

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at cnsys.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org