netgraph only on i386/ia64 - why ?

John Polstra jdp at polstra.com
Tue Aug 17 09:49:01 PDT 2004

On 17-Aug-2004 Harti Brandt wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>
> BAZ>Hi,
> BAZ>
> BAZ>It seems netgraph is only build on ia64 and i386.
> BAZ>Can someone please explain why ?
>
> Until around april I used all the ATM related Ng stuff regularily (this
> include ng_socket, all the stuff under netgraph/atm). I think this should
> just be enabled. Unless build problems have been introduced since then,
> it should just be enabled.

There is one problem with netgraph on 64-bit platforms.  The ng_msghdr
struct is 52 bytes / 4-byte aligned (see ng_message.h).  That means
the message payload is not well-aligned for 64-bit platforms.  It
would be nice to fix that (and bump NG_VERSION, of course).  Nobody
ever guaranteed that the message payload would be aligned, but it
makes things a lot more convenient.

John