[4.9-R]Can I Make My DSL Connect Go Faster ?

The Jetman jetman at mycbc.com
Wed Apr 28 12:25:12 PDT 2004

    Folks:  I just installed an eval ADSL connection (1.5M/128K) yesterday.
I installed it on a dual-boot XP/FBSD box.  When the DSL connection is directly
used by the XP box, I can routinely get 1.5Mb download speed, as determined
by ADSLGuide, etc.  I took an essentially, unmodified FBSD partition (I added
IPFW2, DIVERT, and DUMMYNET to the kernel config) and turned it into a
NATting gateway.  It worked immediately, but running the same speed tests
I got significantly and consistently lower incoming speed results (avg 400
Kb/s).

    FWIW, my DSL provider is Verizon and I operate this in Long Island
w/ a Westell 2200 DSL router.  I also use a modified version of the
rc.firewall script, but I took it out of the loop by using the open config.
The box I'm using uses a 1.1GHz Celeron w/ 128MB of SDRAM.

    I'm just confused as to why I lose SO much going thru my FBSD box and
that's essence of my question.  I can live w/ *some* overhead for the sake
of using FBSD, but this is ridiculous.  TIA....Jet

===============  From the desk of Jethro Wright, III  ================
+       If it's there, and you can see it, it's real.                +
+       If it's not there, and you can see it, it's virtual.         +
+       If it's there, and you can't see it, it's transparent.       +
+       If it's not there, and you can't see it, you erased it.      +
===  jetman516 'at' hotmail.com  ==========================  Anon  ===