Bridging problems on 5.2-RELEASE

Kai Mosebach kai at freshx.de
Wed Apr 14 06:13:24 PDT 2004

Dear list,

recently i tried to setup a wireless bridge onto my freebsd 5.2 server.

i followed the instructions on the ath manpage and set the bridge up with :

ifconfig ath0 inet up <params>
sysctl net.link.ether.bridge.enable=1
sysctl net.link.ether.bridge.config="ath0 xl0"
sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

the ath interface has no ip adress, but xl0 has.

now i can ping all of my lan-clients from the wireless, excepting the bridge
itself. i saw some reports about problems in the bridge module of 4.x so i
build my kernel with options BRIDGE, but no changes.

the second problem is, that i have a DSL router on my cabled segment, which is
pingable from wireless, but setting it as default gw and DNS server on the
wireless client is not working, internet access is not possible.

any ideas ?

best Kai