Per-interface polling(4) status

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Sun Apr 11 07:04:50 PDT 2004

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 02:31:24AM -0700, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> more or less i am fine with your proposed change.

OK.

> I believe you could add something to state the capability of the
> hw/driver (polling-capable, like checksum-offloading).

I have no idea why I haven't thought about interface capabilities,
but that's certainly what I was looking for, thanks!

Since this was very easy to implement, and it also didn't require
change to basic polling code (the IFF_POLLING has the old meaning
and semantics), I went ahead and committed my updated changes to
HEAD.

> POLA would suggest to set IFF_POLLING by default on all drivers which
> support it. You still need the global sysctl to enable it.

The new IFCAP_POLLING will be set by default in enabled capabilities
list, except probably in the rl(4) driver.  ;)

> Finally, while you are at it (and before we branch 6.0), maybe you
> could store the 'IFF_CANTCHANGE' flags in a separate place from
> user-configured ones, so one wouldn't have to apply the mask all
> the times.

Is it really "all the time"?  The use of IFF_CANTCHANGE is currently
limited to only two files in sys/net/, if I'm not terribly mistaken.
Anyway, let's continue discussion of this item in a separate thread.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru at FreeBSD.org