polling(4) and rl(4)

Luigi Rizzo luigi at freebsd.org
Fri Apr 9 10:55:05 PDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 07:47:24PM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> Hey Luigi,
>
> Have you actually measured the performance of rl(4) with polling(4)
> enabled?  With 8139 anomaly of four (register based) TX descriptors

no, nor i did expect any improvement -- the code was only there
to help when the 8139C+ was supported. But now that happens in
a different driver.

Re. the removal, I still think it is beneficial in receiving,
(not performancewise, just to avoid livelock), so as a temporary
measure why don't you just short-circuit the logic that enables
polling in the driver rather than ripping it out completely ?

cheers
luigi (rushing out for dinner)