do we support non contiguous netmasks ?

Andre Oppermann andre at freebsd.org
Mon Apr 5 06:41:31 PDT 2004

Anders Lowinger wrote:

> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > Hi,
> > i was wondering if anyone knows what kind of support we have
> > in FreeBSD networking code, for non contiguous netmasks.
> > While it is trivial to support them for interface addresses,
> > managing them in the routing table is probably far from trivial
> > and I believe also mostly useless... and anyways, i have no
> > idea how our kernel code deals with them
>
> Not sure why you wonder? Do you need it?
>
> If we implement a mtrie for faster routing-lookups,
> non-contiguous masks need to go.
>
> Not even Cisco implements anything else than contiguous masks,
> and I have a very hard time to understand why they are needed.

So far I haven't found any useful application of non-contignous
mask in network applications.  It can probably go away.  But step
by step.  Currently Luigi has teamed up with me to do the per-if
ARP table stuff and the removal of cloning from the routing table.
That alone will make network life in the kernel much easier.

--
Andre