Fwd: [IPv4 fragmentation --> The Rose Attack]

Barney Wolff barney at databus.com
Sun Apr 4 12:59:56 PDT 2004

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 08:38:31PM +0100, Richard Wendland wrote:

> It would be possible to improve matters somewhat by having per-protocol
> limits.  So for TCP, which with MSS and DF rarely fragments, there could
> be low limits.  But for UDP (eg for NFS) which frequently fragments,
> there could be generous limits.
>
> So systems that only permit TCP and ICMP from non-trusted hosts could
> in an indirect way limit external attack, without eg hampering local UDP.

I'd prefer either per-interface limits or a trusted/non-trusted per-interface
bit, if anything at all.  Per-protocol limits would simply cause the
attackers to attack the other protocol.  In truth, running NFS over UDP
with 65k packets over the Internet is suicidal anyway.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.