iy(4) and 0x23 ex(4) panic

Peter petr999 at kengu.ru
Mon Sep 29 01:15:45 PDT 2003

Hello.
I am newbie to BSD, so please be patient of a stupid question& =)
I have a good card intel etherexpress 10 isa utp. It is based on 82595 chip as well as ee10pro card.
So I supposed I can use it with ex(4) driver.
But, the kernel says:
ex0: ifmedia_set: no match for 0x23/0xffffffff.
I tried to find out answer with no success in Google including groups. The best match for me was that TPE connector is unplugged, but this is NOT the case.
I surely turned off PNP in card's configurator, as well as changed base-address/IRQ and powering off/on after this.
Some guy on IRC told FBSD works poorly on intel ISA cards. But w95 does pretty at the same machine (with PNP turned in card, though), and, I am somewhy sure, Linux will?
I am even wondering what does this 0x23 should mean?
Also it makes me wonder that Free has no ifmedia_set(4) man page like Open does? And! I saw even iy(4) driver in Open but see no one in Free? could I see the third-party provided iy(4) anywhere?
As I said I am newbie, but I had no troubles to setup my 3Com card with xl(4).
We have expensive traffic here, in the middle of Russia, so it's too hard to change Free on Open to try.
PLEASE HELP!