Traffic analysis ports?

Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg listsub at 401.cx
Thu Sep 18 05:49:16 PDT 2003

Josef Karthauser wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm looking for some software to basically analyse the traffic I've got
> going over a particular pipe so that I can work out whether or what to
> traffic shape.  Can anyone recommend anything?
>
> Joe

My first recommendation would be to not reply to existing postings
when starting a new thread. It really messes up the inbox for people
that prefer threaded views.

As for software recommendations, have you looked at tcpdump? Its a
lot of manual labour, but with some simple scripting you should be
able to easily figure out what kind of traffic is eating your pipe.
If you dont mind a buggy, resource eating hog with lots of security
issues you could look at ntop. It has a webinterface that draws very
pretty graphs and diagrams with all the information you could
possibly want.
But as I said, it will eat resources and dont blame me if youre
hacked while running it. Just install it, fire it up and let it run
for a few hours and you will have enough data to work with I think.
If you like it you can keep it running, but as I said, dont blame me.